The Hutong is proud to offer Beijing’s most comprehensive and interactive overview of Chinese tea! Join a group of fellow tea connoisseurs, amateurs, and thirsty friends on a journey to the Maliandao Tea city, where – with the help of native shopkeepers –The Hutong’s tea expert will guide you through through China’s most famous teas and tea regions.[slideshow_deploy id=’Maliandao Tea Tour’]
- Shop #1: Green Teas – While tasting China’s finest green teas, The Hutong’s Tea Expert and the shop keeper address questions like: What Is “Tea?” What are the unique steps for processing Green Tea, like firing? How is flavored green tea like Jasmine created?
- Shop #2: White and Yellow Teas – While tasting some of China’s lighter, more unique teas, guests explore questions like: What is the difference between Oxidation and Fermentation in Teas? How much caffeine and nutrients are in tea? What are Chinese Medicine views on Tea? What unique processes are used in processing White and Yellow Teas?
- Shop #3: Oolong and Black Teas – These more robust teas provide a background to discuss topics like: How are Oolong and Black teas processed differently than other teas? What is the difference between “rolling” and “cutting?” Why do the British drink tea like they do? How are teas like “Earl Grey” and “Irish Breakfast Tea” made?
- Shop #4: Ceramics and Herbal Teas – This stop on the tour will give guests an introduction to the periphery and paraphernalia of Chinese tea, introducing concepts like: Tea’s Herbal Origins, Teapot Design, and Matching Teas and Teapots (and Tea Pets!)
- Shop #5: Pu’er and Post-Fermented Teas – To aid digestion, lunch is followed by an overview of one of China’s oldest teas. The Hutong’s Tea Expert and the shopkeeper discuss: Tea Shapes: Bricks, Cakes, Mushrooms, Bowls, Pumpkins, and More; The difference between ancient tea trees and little tea bushes; Fermentation and aging of tea; The health benefits of Pu’er, and more!
Price: 350 RMB, 300 for members (includes a large Fujian lunch with drinks). Please note we require a minimum of 6 people to run this tour.